I have done telephone technical support for 8 years now. Its very much like doing geneolgy. Now that I have your attention you undoubtedly want to know why... OK I shall indulge you (just this once ;)
- You cannot see what you are working on with rare exeption.
- Although you are working with facts, many times you only have obscure clues.
- People lie to you (though usually not intentionally - I kid you not).
- Yon never know where a call or research on an individual may take you.
- Often times you must ast the same thing different ways to find the answer.
- You MUST have patience (one step down from Job).
- Get ready to be hung up on lol.
- Many moments of exteme frustration are wiped away with just one success.
- You MUST learn to trust your instincts but DOCUMENT your answers.
- Just as there is always another call there is always another person to investigate.
Ten items is all my tired brain can up with tonight. I was thinking about this today between calls and there honestly are similarities. In addition (for me anyway) both are exceedingly rewarding.